Smoking is one of the global problems spread around the world. The policy conducted in Azerbaijan in propagation of healthy lifestyle, ratification of the May 21, 2003 Framework Convention of the World Health Organization on combating cigarette by our country at November 1, 2005, a prohibition applied to the advertisement of tobacco products has created opportunity to the achievement of several successes in this field.
Ministry of Health of Azerbaijan Republic, Ministry of Youth and Sport of Azerbaijan Republic, IREX Internet Access and Training Program (IATP) together with the “ELS” Independent Research Center (IRC) have decided to make contribution to propagation of healthy lifestyle and have started a one month campaign titled “DON’T SAY NO to your health, future and welfare!” announced by the WHO on 31st of May and dedicated to the International Day Without Tobacco. The campaign is conducted on May and is going to be concluded on 31st of May. The aim of the campaign is propagation of healthy lifestyle, research of reasons of people’s addiction to habits dangerous for their life and ways of getting rid of them.
Within this campaign:
– Form 1st to 31st of May 2007 was conducted international internet – forum “Are youth pro or contra of smoking?” on address http://forum.iatp.net with technical support of IATP. All the offices of IATP in former soviet union space joined to discussion.
– From 4th to 11th of May 2007 was prepared questionnaires on topic “How to avoid youth from smoking?” by volunteers of “ELS” IRC and was conducted poll among the high school pupils and students at schools and universities of Baku (totally 1800 persons). The poll provides an opportunity to learn modern youth’s attitude towards smoking, to identify the motives of becoming addictive to this habit and to process effective ways of combating against smoking. The initial results of the poll were presented during the presentation of the campaign at the International Press Center on 17th of May of this year.
– Advertising posters against smoking were prepared by the volunteers of the “ELS” IRC and were multiplied by the assistance of IATP.
– On 22nd of May 2007 were organized debates on the topic “How to avoid youth from smoking?” at IATP Baku office. High school pupils, students, volunteers of “ELS” IRC and IATP representatives participated at debates. The event was broadcasted by the “Space” independent TV channel.
– On 22nd of May 2007 in the streets of Baku and at the park named after Heydar Aliyev was conducted campaign of dissemination of advertising leaflets against tobacco “DON’T say NO to your health, future and welfare!” prepared by the volunteers of the “ELS” IRC. The action was broadcasted by the “Space” independent TV channel.
– On 27th of May 2007 in a TV program “Saghlamlik” broadcasted on the “Space” independent TV channel with support of the Ministry of Health the activities of the campaign was highlighted and was presented reportage about conducted debates and action of dissemination of advertising leaflets against tobacco. Chairwoman of the “ELS” IRC Irada Yagubova attended was guest of the program.
– On 29th of May of 2007 at the first republican exhibition of youth organizations organized by the Ministry of Youth and Sport of Azerbaijan Republic was conducted the action of dissemination of advertising leaflets against tobacco.
– On 30th of May 2007 is going to be conducted the Round Table dedicated to the International Day without Tobacco announced by the World Health Organization. This event will be conclusion of conducted monthly campaign and will be discussed steps are going to be made in future on propagation of healthy lifestyle and in a way of combating smoking.
– On 31st of May 2007 at the first creativity festival titled “Student Spring” organized by the Ministry of Youth and Sport of Azerbaijan Republic the volunteers of the “ELS” IRC will be conducting the action of dissemination of advertising leaflets against tobacco.
– On 31st of May 2007 at the Baku office of IATP during the process of international Internet forum will be organized video conference with the most active participants of the forum from Tajikistan.
– The activities of the campaign are widely highlighted on mass media
What is keeping cigarette in hand? Is it freedom or courage, or aspect of modernity? The only truth, is a fact that tobacco is a reason of death of millions of people. When death catches old people, as well as youth and makes children orphan, state loses its labor force too.
As smoking is considered as one of the global problems covering the world, combating it is also conducted in international level. On 21st of May 2003 was accepted the Framework Convention of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Tobacco Control which is ratified by 50 countries of the world including Azerbaijan.
Smoking is in the second place in the world as a cause of death and in fourth place as a factor of risk of spreading diseases. There are more than 3000 chemical elements on tobacco and its smoke, 60 of which are carcinogenic, able to damage genetic material of cell.
According to the information of the World Health Organization (WHO) more than 25 diseases exist, developing or becoming more intense under smoking (cardiovascular, lung and oncologic). Activities are conducted periodically in order to explain the harm of smoking, producers of tobacco products are obliged to inform about harm of cigarette on the surface of produced boxes, however the number of smoking people is not decreasing. According to the WHO information there are 1.1 billions of smoking people in the world. What is the reason for it? How to combat with this global trouble? As it’s obvious, there is a big need for the propagation of healthy lifestyle, prepared policy and joining forces for it, also for conducting educational activities on explaining the harm of usage of tobacco products. With this aim, on 1988 on the 42nd Session of the World Health Assembly (WHA 42. Sanction № 19) was announced the International Day without Tobacco celebrated on 31st of May annually. Besides, Great American Smokeout is celebrated on the 3rd Tuesday of November. This date was established by the American Cancer Society on 1977.